Medical malpractice occurs when a healthcare professional deviates from the accepted standard of care and causes injury or death to a patient by an act of negligence or omission. The injured patient or remaining family members often partner with a medical malpractice attorney to hold careless medical professionals responsible and obtain appropriate compensation for their loss.
Medical malpractice can cause physical, mental, and emotional trauma for injured victims or those left behind after a fatality. Many are left with mobility issues requiring help for normal daily activities and in financial turmoil. A medical malpractice attorney can help win financial compensation to help pay for the necessary ongoing care.
Most Common Types of Medical Malpractice
Some studies estimate that medical malpractice errors account for as many as a quarter of a million deaths or more annually and that number could be much higher. While some types of medical errors happen more than others, the most common types of medical malpractice fall into the following five categories.
- Missed or Delayed Diagnosis – Accounts for nearly one-third of medical malpractice claims and may result in unnecessary treatments or lack of treatment in a life-threatening situation.
- Childbirth Injuries – Serious injuries which occur before, during, or after delivery and can cause life-altering injury or death.
- Medication Errors – Errors in the type of medication prescribed, incorrect dosage, and even drug interaction errors which may cause anything from an allergic reaction to a fatality.
- Surgery Errors – Leaving objects inside a patient, operating on the wrong surgical site, and even operating on the wrong patient can result in serious injury or death.
- Anesthesia Mistakes – This may include leaving a patient under too long, administering too much anesthesia, and even placing the breathing tube improperly.
Any of these types of medical errors caused by the negligent action or omission of a medical professional may be caused to bring a claim with the help of a medical malpractice attorney.
Elements of Medical Malpractice Case
Medical malpractice cases are complex, involving multiple parties and elements of the law. A medical malpractice attorney can help families navigate the turbulent waters of the legal system. For a medical malpractice claim to be valid, certain components must be present.
- It must be proven that there was an established relationship between the patient and the medical professional in which a professional duty was owed to the patient.
- The medical professional deviated from the standard of care, breaching such duty.
- Such breach of duty by the medical professional resulted in injury or death.
- Damages such as additional medical bills or lost wages were sustained because of the breach of duty.
Partner with an Experienced Medical Malpractice Attorney If you suspect that you or a loved one were the victims of medical malpractice, partner with an experienced medical malpractice attorney to recover appropriate compensation for your damages. It’s best to begin documenting everything and request your medical records as soon as possible. Then consult a skilled medical malpractice attorney who can help you navigate the legal system and hold the negligent medical professional responsible for their actions.
1,141 total views, 4 views today